How to Apply for a CHICK Code for the National Childcare Scheme Subsidy
To apply for support under the National Childcare Scheme, you will first need to register for a MyGovID account at www.mygovid.ie* From there you can access the NCS application process.
* A public service card is required to register with MyGovID. If you do not have a public service card you can apply through the relevant Government portal online: https://psc.gov.ie/how-to-apply
** Note: Any queries relating to using the NCS application portal or relating to the generation of an NCS CHICK award can be made by contracting NCS Parent Support Centre directly on +353‑1‑906 8530.
- Once you have uploaded your information to apply for NCS Govt funding through the MyGovID website you will then receive a CHICK code.
- Please forward a screenshot of your NCS govt funding award details (Chick Code) to our dedicated email address: email@example.com
Emails sent to individuals /other email addresses other than the above cannot be processed and may result in loss of NCS funding. NCS funding cannot be backdated in accordance with NCS regulations.
- Once your NCS award is received and processed by Cocoon it will be uploaded onto the NCS providers portal.
- Once your NCS award has been uploaded by Cocoon you should then receive an email from NCS directly to your MyGovID account which will require your attention. You will be asked to confirm your registered care option details.
(NCS funding will not be released to Cocoon until you have confirmed your NCS contract hours).
- An application with Cocoon is not complete until you, the parent/guardian, have confirmed the following details:
- Confirmed registered care options details (through NCS website).
- Completed Cocoon Booking & Registration forms.
- Completed Direct Debit mandate form.
- Deposit payment has been made.
- IMPORTANT: It is a Parent/Guardian’s responsibility to note their CHICK code end date to avoid funding delays. NCS notify parents directly, 6 weeks before their current CHICK expires, to invite them to renew their CHICK. If you have not received an invitation to renew your CHICK, please contact NCS directly at the Parent Support Centre.
- All CHICK codes must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in a timely manner so they can be applied to fees for the coming month. No changes can be made to the Cocoon direct debit system after the 12th of each month therefore any CHICK codes received after this date will be recognised in subsequent direct debits for the following payment period. Please note: If your Direct Debit has been processed before your NCS application has been approved/submitted, the Government funding will be recognised in subsequent Direct Debit periods.
- For families just starting with Cocoon, funding is deducted from the 2nd month of attendance once your NCS funding has been approved by POBAL through the NCS providers portal.
Please note: Funding is not deducted against fees in the first month due to the volume of NCS funding updates being received and the variation in dates of notification of funding/dates new children start with us.
Funding calculations are based on the total funding amount approved by NCS spread evenly over the length of time approved per your CHICK code, starting from day 1 of your 2nd month of attendance and ending on the last day of your approved funding.
The total funding approved from day 1 of your approval and up to the final day of your approval is divided into equal monthly amounts and allocated monthly from day 1 of your 2nd month of attendance over the remaining period of your valid Chick award.
Example: a child is approved for funding from 19th September 2023 to 31st August 2024 and starts with Cocoon on the 19thSeptember 2023. Total funding approved by NCS = €3,150 (€1.40ph x 45 hrs pw = €63 x 50 weeks).
This funding is applied against fees over the period from 01st October 2023 to 31st August 2024 i.e., divided over 11 months: €3,150 / 11 = €286.36 monthly NCS deduction from your fees.
Note: If NCS funding starts or ends mid-month the funding calculation is apportioned with this in mind.
Note: Amendments by parents such as a reduction in hours of attendance, which have been approved by POBAL, will affect the amount of NCS funding received for a child.
- Adding a child to an existing claim: In order to add a sibling to your award you are required to update your existing application on your NCS parent portal by adding the second child rather than creating a new application on the NCS system. Creating a new application will end your existing application for your 1st child.
We do hope the steps provided above help explain how to apply for your NCS funding and how we allocate funding against fees on a monthly basis. We do understand funding calculations and the timing of their application can be confusing and we endeavour to make it as a straightforward as possible.
If you require any further clarification in relation to the amount of funding you are being approved for or the duration of same, please contact the NCS parent helpline on +353‑1‑906 8530.